This is the first year we have been able to have a real garden, meaning it is actually planted in the ground and not in big plastic tubs. We opted for the square foot layout, but not the actual square foot method. So far we like it, less weeding, and since somehow that is my job I'm okay with that, and less water. We built a 3 x 3 layout with red pavers and planted nine things.
We probably should have checked the frost free date because our tomato and pepper seeds never grew, but they are now beautiful little plants (I am so thankful that someone else can take the time to grow them in little boxes so that I can plant them in my garden and feel amazed that I "grew" that). But we did successfully grow from seeds lettuce, radishes, carrots, peas, and cucumbers! Oh and later we planted strawberries along the back of the house.
While we were waiting for those little plants to pop up, Target Man would go outside probably three times a day and stare at the ground investigating anything green that might appear in the boxes. He got so excited over even the weeds growing. I was worried that he was going to kill everything by touching and poking and prodding all the new little sprouts. Really he was much worse than Target boy or Target Baby.
So now we are in the waiting stage, he waters, I weed, we both keep the rabbits and little boys away and we wait until we can taste those yummily delicious nothing is better than home grown tomatoes!


4 comments:
Wow, the garden looks great! Target Man looks like he was stalking his own garden. Glad things are growing so he can relax a little now.
That looks great! Much tidier than ours. We also do the square foot method, with red pavers, but with bigger squares. What's the big green stuff? Lettuce?
radishes, they are huge!
Ashley, you are the lucky winner of the Nail Wart... I mean Art... gift certificate giveaway! ;-)
I will give it to Missy to give to you at church on Sunday. Hope you are doing well... Rx
p.s. if you need to get rid of any radishes, we love em... your garden looks great by the way!
Post a Comment