Saturday, March 15, 2008

Working from Home

So I am a stay at home mother and I've never regretted the decision to stay home with my kids. I'm glad that around my sophomore year of college it finally sunk in that I really did want to be home with my future children and that maybe the prophet knew what he was talking about with the whole proclamation on the family. So I said goodbye to med school dreams and now plan to get my doctorate once my kids are older. I can always go back and get an advanced degree, no problem. I have a great example in my mother who just finished her law degree and is currently completing her masters in tax law (she's a nerd!).

Anyway, because we are a one income family in a two income world, sometimes finances are a little tight. Both Brett and I go, "if only we could buy....", but in the end we have everything we need, well really more than we need, and we are fine. But lately I have felt like I needed to do something to earn a little more cash, mostly so we can pay off our expensive little reflux man. I mean we are lucky to have good health insurance; I can't even imagine how much we would have to pay without it, but it would be nice to have Corban payed for. So when a friend of mine, a realtor, asked if I would like to do some writing for her, I jumped at the chance.

In the past week, I have gained a new respect for working mothers. For both, those who work from home and those who work outside of the home. I am not writing/working much and I can't seem to keep everything together. First, there is this whole having a deadline or responsibility for completing work thing. I have not been accountable for completing things in a timely manner to anyone but me, for three years. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of it. If I don't get my self imposed list of things to do done, no one cares! Brett would never come home and say, "Woman, why didn't you get the laundry done?" More likely he would just go put whatever he needed washed in and that would be normal. He is an amazing and accepting husband, but that is another post.

Okay so second, how do working mothers manage to keep the house clean, laundry done, kids fed and not screaming, and the floor swept? Our kitchen floor is gross! I really should be sweeping it instead of writing about it. Really all you working mothers are amazing. You non-working mothers are amazing too, its really just about different skills I guess. I think I have the basic none-working mother skills down, its the other more organized work from home skills that I need to get.

I have really enjoyed writing about my community and learning all these random facts about where I live. I wouldn't mind doing more. I really love to research and write, even college papers (I'm a nerd, too! Its genetic!) I just have to learn to manage my time better and maybe I will have to stick to the Fly Lady's schedule better!

So to all you mothers, especially you work from home mothers, you are amazing and I envy your organization and time management skills. Please, share some of them with me!

No comments: